Writing can be formal or informal. In academic writing you need formal writing. For business, it depends on the situation. Formal writing is important for academic and business situations. The following are tips on writing more formally:
Do not write in the first person.
First person pronouns include I, my, we, our, us, etc. Formal writing should be in the third person.
- Error: I believe dogs are better than cats.
- Correction: Dogs are better than cats.
Write out contractions in full.
- Error: Don’t, won’t
- Correction: Do not, will not
Write out numbers.
Numbers below 10 are written and numbers above 10 can be shown as numbers.
- There are three children living in the house.
- The population of the town is 15, 000.
Do not abbreviate.
The first instance of a word should be spelled in full, and often it may be abbreviated afterwards.